The ACPD was established with the following objectives:
1. To promote the conservation of all Sri Lankan primate species and subspecies and their respective natural habitats and ecosystems, through a combination of study, education, public outreach and habitat management.
2. To foster public awareness and appreciation of primate biodiversity in Sri Lanka and its conservation using educational outreach and the dissemination of information through publication, exhibits, lectures, media publicity, documentary films and public (local and international) participation in study and training programs.
3. To establish new knowledge about the behavior, ecology, taxonomy, distribution, genetics, epidemiology, natural habitats of Sri Lankan primates through basic (non applied) scientific study.
4. To develop public outreach programs for the protection and conservation of diversity of primate taxa, and primate environments and ecosystems in their natural state though habitat management and the amelioration of negative impacts from human activity.
5. To co-ordinate Sri Lankan primate conservation, study and education efforts with local and international organizations and authorities.
The ACPD is based at the Smithsonian Field Camp and